Cloth Napkins.

So the other day, I was browsing the web and came upon some cloth napkins.  Now being a family of 10 with 9 people currently living at home (oldest son lives in a different state), you can say we go through a lot of napkins.  So I decided to try and make some cloth napkins.  The hardest part for me was choosing which type of fabric.  I did a search on the web and found that basically any fabric will do.  This was good news.  I had some dresses that my older daughters did not like (I didn't like the fabric much) so I decided to use them.  Since this was just a trial run what harm could it do seeing that the dresses where headed for the dump.

Next was deciding on a pattern.  I knew that I did not want large napkins,  I just wanted them big enough for my younger girls.  I decided to copy a wash cloth and use that as a pattern.  I thought the size of it was perfect.

After they were all cut up I serged the sides.  I really did not want to hem them.  Serging them was just so much more quicker.

Here they are


These are just 2 that were left from the 8 that I made.  They fit perfectly in my napkin holder.  They were a hit with my kids.

I did not like the fabric as a dress, but as napkins they are really pretty.

4 comments:

  1. These are so lovely. Love that you used an old dress for them. Thanks for joining in the under 300 followers hop. I am your newest follower and your nj neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! Cloth napkins are all I use and what a money saver...good for you for making the switch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great way to use up an old dress, great recycle!

    You home school 8 kids! Oh my goodness, you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't MAKE mine, but we use dishcloths for napkins because I'm too cheap to buy paper towels. I have, in the past, made matching napkins & placemats as Christmas gifts for family & freinds & I put that "wooly nylon" thread in the upper loopers when I serged the edges of the napkins & it makes a covered decorative edge. Much like a satin stitched rolled hem! My only problem was that I would pick fabrics that I could not match Wooly Nylon too! So now? I buy the WN first & THEN buy fabric.
    Great Work!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...